DRG Coding Auditor Job
Date: Dec 13, 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, US
Employment Type: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday
Location Name: University of Utah Hospital
City: SALT LAKE CITY
Department: UUH CST 17E HEALTH INFO CODING
The University of Utah Health Care is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The University of Utah Health Care is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Care exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health Care seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission.
This position audits the accuracy and completeness of diagnosis and procedure coding, DRG assignment, and abstracted data – POA, Discharge Disposition -- to support that appropriate reimbursement and clinical severity is captured for the level of service rendered Provides ongoing education to coders, physicians, and other clinical staff. The incumbent serves in an advisory and educator role for coding and regulatory compliance.
- Possess strong knowledge of the diagnosis and procedure codes.
- Reviews inpatient medical records for select payer populations post-discharge and pre-bill; audits the accuracy and completeness of diagnosis and procedure coding, DRG assignment, and abstracted data – POA, Discharge Disposition.
- Reviews discrepancies between the Clinical Documentation Specialist (CDS) DRG and the Coder DRG
- Reviews non-CC/MCC records to determine if record was miscoded or if additional documentation is needed.
- Develops and coordinates educational and training programs regarding technical coding and clinical topics for the coding staff.
- Develops and implements education of physician, nursing, and other clinical staff to improve documentation to yield better coding.
- Works effectively with the Coding Manager to improve coding services provided by the coding staff.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Possesses knowledge of DRG and grouping methodologies; in particular what diagnoses / procedures impact DRG assignment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to develop relationships necessary to facilitate and educate.
- Excellent prioritization and organizational skills.
- Bachelor's degree or a minimum of six years experience of HIM Management.
- Four years of experience with coding ICD9.
- Clinical Coding Specialist (CCS) certification
Nearest Major Market: Salt Lake City
Job Segments: Medical, Medical Coding, Patient Care, Research, Healthcare